Our Range Rover’s audio, bluetooth, and navigation died one by one. I had to bypass the bluetooth, the audio went out a few years later and now the range rover navigation upgrade is down although I believe the screen technically works.
I put in the range rover android head unit with friend and local master euro mechanic Brandon (if you are in Denver and need a mobile land rover mechanic, I’ll get you in touch) in part 1. But without the audio it was compelling how important audio is to car audio even with all of the increasingly visual information.
I set out to get the rear screens hooked up and the amp I would end up running the highs through. I accomplished both of those over 2 days not without drama though as I initally cut some wires that looked like speaker twisted pair but turned out to be the speed sensor wires. After Ali braved the codes and went to work I finished the project on day two although I always think about ways to make things better so there may be a part 3 which will be running additional speaker cables to the front to run a three way crossover (as planned) to the front versus using the factory splitter for the mids/tweeter, running a backup camera, and running an FM antenna. However, getting the speakers and amp hooked up was a fairly intense day so let’s cover it.
Our 2006 HSE, has had her native electronics rendered inoperable by a downline MOST fault caused by water ingress. She has always had a few issues with her radio and it didn’t make financial sense to try to reintegrate with the factory radio so we gutted the original screen and replaced it with a double-din headunit adapter. The headunit adapter fits in with various length brackets and secures it like so.
There exist various PowerfulUK and other videos about removing the dash so that will not be covered here. Our day 1 install had us install a “Pumpkin” brand double din 7″ quad core android navigation with 2GB of RAM and 32 GB of on-board storage, along with a preinstalled MAP MicroSD data card 8-16GB, which leaves one MicroSD and USB on the front. I dropped in a 32GB MicroSD with various media. I opted for the 2GB ram version of the Android Head Unit as most are only available with 1GB ram which I thought might be a bottleneck.
The performance of the unit is what I would describe as diesel like, the quad core ARM processor completes tasks without being bottled down but without the sheer speed of Apple’s new PRO chips. Overall I am happy with the performance of downloading and updating various apps and settings. The multi-tasking never bogged down. The installed Bluetooth app is custom and perhaps limited, but it connected to my phone quickly with the password 0000. After connection there is a prompt to download the contact information. I declined as this is primarily Ali’s Range Rover although it does have Cooper Zeon’s and Rocky Mountain pinstriping.
We took a Range Rover from LA to Las Vegas in late June in the middle of the day. I thought we would be fine if we kept moving. However, there was a lot of traffic! We saw a towering thermometer with 119 degrees lit up, only two away from the top with 129 and 139 remaining. There were ominous signs about turning off you air conditioning. We kept our A/C on re-circulation the whole trip.
We ran into a hatchback with heavy camouflaging, a sure sign of a test bed I am sure we caught a tesla model 3/e testing.
In the middle of the trip we started to hear a hiss from the air springs. I prayed. The airsprings didn’t throw a fault or lower so I believe it was an over-pressure release caused by excessively hot road temperatures.