Range Rover L405 2013-2017 Buyers Guide
2013 brought in a whole new Range Rover. There is such a departure from the L322 that an exact comparison can’t be made, but in Range Rover fashion there is so much familiar represented by the evolution of the luxury offroader. L405 Range Rover is built on an all new all aluminum chassis, this chassis is shared with the Range Rover Sport, and likely an upcoming 2017 Large LR4/Discovery 4 vs the L322 which was only utilized for the full size Range Rover. The all aluminum monocoque chassis sets many firsts, for land rover and large offroad capable SUVs. Not only is the chassis aluminum but many parts of the running gear are as well including differential carriers.
The L405 is roughly 800 pounds lighter than the outgoing l322. Which means the big 5.0L V8 is a great match dropping the 0-60 time by almost half a second in Car and Driver road tests (4.7 vs 5.1). The interior is distilled version of the L322, the best features carry over but are refined. Button count is said to be down by 50%. Navigation is updated by USB which in practical terms is better for updates than the hdd, but is perhaps slower?
Off road abilities are retained for example wading is up from 27″ to 36″ and on forums owners report great offroad performance and on road performance. The handling is still apparently all range rover.
Unlike L322 only certain spec of L405 will have a full size spare. The tow package adds the full size spare and the ediff.
- 2013 Range Rover Brochure
- 2o14 Range Rover loses the N/A 5.0L V8 which with a SC V6, power drops from 385hp to 340hp, although at altitude the SC V6 might be better due to forced induction. The V6 goes to 60 in 7.1s according to edmunds.com 5.0L SC is still offered at 510 hp. 2014 Range Rover Brochure
- LWB is introduced approximately 8″ longer with 7.3″ for the rear seats makes for a much more luxurious rear seat layout carried over from the 2012 Autobiography Ultimate now called the Executive Rear Seating Package which can be added to the Autobiography. Decadent back seat experience with ipads, champagne and desk tray. Meridian 29 speaker system is available and standard on the autobiography.
- 2015 Range Rover – All models built after 2014 are now E85 capable. LWB V6 now available. Land Rover InControl smart phone integration available. Driver Assistance package available with 360-degree parking sensors & lane departure warning. 2015 Range Rover Brochure
- Holland and Holland Range Rover re-introduced and is fantastic. with special side vents, wheels color, interior, gunbox, and metal etching. this is the most expensive range rover available at $285,000.
- 2016 Range Rover – SVAutobiography is introduced with 550 hp and 502 torques. front seats are up to 20 way adjustable over the mere-plebeian 18-way adjustable seats of 2015. SVA lists for 205,000. 2016 Range Rover Brochure
- Turbo Diesel Six Cylinder Engine is introduced in USA with a claimed 0-60 time of 7.4 seconds delivered by 254 hp and 440 torques via 8 speed zf — the power delivery thereof car and driver claims “sufficient at all times but not enough to deliver much in the way of excitement”. MPG is up to a Prius beating 23MPG city 28MPG Hwy.
- 2017 Range Rover – is very likely to have a mid-life facelift/upgrade. Here are our predictions as to what that would likely have:
- Standard Power will receive a 40hp bump to a 380hp SC V6
- SC V8 will likely get a bump in power to 550HP
- Upgraded power on the SVAutobiography and optional 600-650 hp from SC 5.0L (apparently the AJV8 Gen 3 was tested at 750hp — though I doubt they used 5w-20).
- A new front end is very likely considering the 2017 Range Rover Sport is getting one which signifies a likely family upgrade since the sport is what many would consider new, implying a new 2017 RR as well.
- It can also be argued that the L322 followed a roughly 3-4 year facelift trend and tata may even be more aggressive.
- A DTS-X capable audio system with Atmos capability and high sampling frequency capable 32-bit DACs.
- New interior upgrades are likely with a focus on more luxury and refining from the feedback reported on earlier l405s.
- Standard Leather Headliner
- Standard Audio System improved