The first ebook from OffRoadRover.com: Cliff’s Unofficial L322 ‘Full Fat’ Range Rover Buyers Guide is now available on Amazon.
Check out the various Amazon sites for our L322 ‘Full Fat’ Range Rover Buyers Guide
- UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MFDOQ7H
- US: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MFDOQ7H
- DE: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01MFDOQ7H
- FR: https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B01MFDOQ7H
- ES: https://www.amazon.es/dp/B01MFDOQ7H
- AU: https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B01MFDOQ7H
- IT: https://www.amazon.it/dp/B01MFDOQ7H
Thank you for your support!
Our Range Rover’s audio, bluetooth, and navigation died one by one. I had to bypass the bluetooth, the audio went out a few years later and now the range rover navigation upgrade is down although I believe the screen technically works.
I put in the range rover android head unit with friend and local master euro mechanic Brandon (if you are in Denver and need a mobile land rover mechanic, I’ll get you in touch) in part 1. But without the audio it was compelling how important audio is to car audio even with all of the increasingly visual information.
I set out to get the rear screens hooked up and the amp I would end up running the highs through. I accomplished both of those over 2 days not without drama though as I initally cut some wires that looked like speaker twisted pair but turned out to be the speed sensor wires. After Ali braved the codes and went to work I finished the project on day two although I always think about ways to make things better so there may be a part 3 which will be running additional speaker cables to the front to run a three way crossover (as planned) to the front versus using the factory splitter for the mids/tweeter, running a backup camera, and running an FM antenna. However, getting the speakers and amp hooked up was a fairly intense day so let’s cover it.
Our 2006 HSE, has had her native electronics rendered inoperable by a downline MOST fault caused by water ingress. She has always had a few issues with her radio and it didn’t make financial sense to try to reintegrate with the factory radio so we gutted the original screen and replaced it with a double-din headunit adapter. The headunit adapter fits in with various length brackets and secures it like so.
There exist various PowerfulUK and other videos about removing the dash so that will not be covered here. Our day 1 install had us install a “Pumpkin” brand double din 7″ quad core android navigation with 2GB of RAM and 32 GB of on-board storage, along with a preinstalled MAP MicroSD data card 8-16GB, which leaves one MicroSD and USB on the front. I dropped in a 32GB MicroSD with various media. I opted for the 2GB ram version of the Android Head Unit as most are only available with 1GB ram which I thought might be a bottleneck.
The performance of the unit is what I would describe as diesel like, the quad core ARM processor completes tasks without being bottled down but without the sheer speed of Apple’s new PRO chips. Overall I am happy with the performance of downloading and updating various apps and settings. The multi-tasking never bogged down. The installed Bluetooth app is custom and perhaps limited, but it connected to my phone quickly with the password 0000. After connection there is a prompt to download the contact information. I declined as this is primarily Ali’s Range Rover although it does have Cooper Zeon’s and Rocky Mountain pinstriping.
Unfortunately we may have had to block some good traffic to survive a DDOS attack which is unfortunately on-going. Please pardon any throttling or blocks right now as we persevere through this attack. We have removed alpha functionality at this point to preserve up-time.
Thanks and Happy Easter!
Land Rover Screen on? Bypass MOST Module. Check the rear left for water ingress, bypass module if neccessary.
Sitting in NJ traffic my girlfriend got water in the rear seat compartment rendering the radio, backup camera, and navigation useless with only a LR green oval and blinking light. Once we met back up I took apart every piece from the rear left compartment and sprayed all the connectors down with WD-40 and pieces of the internal parts (I’m not an expert none of this should be considered advice), and placed supplemental garbage bag water shedding device this time over the electrics.
I also noted the red light from the Bluetooth module was no longer blinking, so I bypassed it by looping the input thru the output using toslink fiber optic cables and duct tape. The duct tape does get too hot to hold the fiber optic connections in place though so I have to leave that connection outside of the electrics area. We are going to update the Bluetooth module to a later version with the help of a forum guys electrical splicing magic.
I giddily awaited the Tune2Air package. After waiting months for a price drop and convincing myself I didn’t need bluetooth audio integration; I broke down and bought the $79-$89 Tune2Air from Amazon and the Ipod 30-Pin Jaguar Land Rover interface cable for about $23. Overall, very happy with the purchase so far. The install is painless, you connect the 30 pin ipod connector to the Tune2Air and the other end into the proprietary Jaguar Land Rover connector.